The Institute of English and American Studies is the second oldest academic center of this kind in Hungary. Its predecessor, the first Department of English, was founded in 1938. This special event was celebrated in September, 1998, when an Országh László commemorative plaque was placed on the entrance wall of Room 119. The room has been named The Országh László Szeminárium to commemorate the relationship between our famous one-time Professor and the University’s Department of English. László Országh is known as the father of English and American Studies in 20th-century Hungary, and we are proud to add that he was Professor of English at our university.

Another important event associated with László Országh was the appointment in 1997 of the first Országh Chair in our Institute. The Országh Chair is a visiting professor in American Studies sponsored by the Fulbright Commission. Since the inauguration of this chair, IEAS has had the privilege to host the Országh Chair several times.

For more detailed information on our Institute history please visit the following pages:


Last update: 2023. 08. 07. 11:54